Forecast for This Weekend? 12/20 - 12/21

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Marc, Dec 15, 2015.

.

Access  -  Events  -  Discussions  -  Reports  -  Partners  -  Used Gear  -  Gear  -   Lost & Found



  1. Marc

    Marc New Member

    Greetings,

    My partner and I are traveling a long way to attempt NE ice this season (Switzerland). We are looking at the weather report, and in disagreement. Nothing is guaranteed, but it appears that the weather will be consistent enough for climbable ice to be available this weekend.

    Is anyone with more experience willing to weigh in on this?
    If you think there will be ice, which areas would be the best options for climbing on 12/20 and 12/21?

    Thanks,
    Marc
     
  2. neiceadmin

    neiceadmin Doug Millen Staff Member

    Climbable ice is rare this year....it has been very warm and even rained up on Mt. Washington this week. Your only bet would be in the Ravines of Mt. Washington. Ice down low is none extant. I was at the top of the Black Dike on Saturday and it looked grim and very dangerous with the unbounded ice and rock fall.
     
  3. Marco Chabot

    Marco Chabot Member

    One of the worst season. Hope it will improve very soon. I climbed rock in Adirondack on Dec 12 with my t-shirt. What happen?
     
  4. pcooke

    pcooke Member

    Ha Doug, I was wondering who would be up there... I was climbing the WG that afternoon!
     
  5. Bill Kirby

    Bill Kirby Active Member

    What? I wore a micro puffy climbing in Wilmington Notch last Saturday. It was overcast, 47 with some wind. We did see the sun around 2pm. Sunday was colder. My dreams of being an alpinist were crushed! Where are you ice season?
     
  6. Dave C

    Dave C New Member

    I have plans to be up in Conway area from the 27-31. I'm trying to be an optimist and hold out hope that the forecast would change, but it still looks pretty bleak. Do you guys think there will be ice by then?
     
  7. neiceadmin

    neiceadmin Doug Millen Staff Member

    Yup, that was us Pat. I wanted to fly the Dike with the new machine but could not get enough satellites for a good GPS fix and had to many tree branches in the way for a clean lift off, so I backed off. ;-)
     

Share This Page